Google

From the Gonzo

. . . somewhere near the event horizon.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Alaska and its oil

I wanted to blog about something more substantial than some old poems but the only thing I could find was that the drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge had passed the House.

Intrigued, I wanted to find the text of the legislation.

But the text of the legislation doesn't mention anything about Alaska, except for some Air Force operational appropriations.

I assumed these were amendments to the Defense Appropriations Bill, stuff concerning not only ANWR but also disaster relief for those affected by Hurricane Katrina.

The bill also included another $50 billion earmarked for the Iraq/Afghanistan wars.

If anyone can help with the search for the legislation at the Library of Congress' archive that would help. I am tired or I would look harder but I was searching earlier today and had the same lack of luck.

Anyway, something of substance. Have a good night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glock21 said...

Maybe it's this other bill?

The defense bill they seem to be talking about is HR2863 and I agree that it doesn't appear to make any mention whatsoever of ANWR. I thought I may have just been looking at the wrong version, since Thomas lets you see multiple versions of the bill, but nada.

I thought maybe the writer just goofed and it was part of some other appropriations bill, but none of the other appropriations bills were voted on that day: http://thomas.loc.gov/home/approp/app06.html

Nothing about it in the two related bills, H.RES.315 and H.RES.639 either.

But what I did find was in S.1932, aka Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005, was voted on by the House on the 19th and includes language that authorizes drilling in ANWR. Under Title IV, Section 4001 in the S.1932.ES version. (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by Senate.)

The strange bit is that the version on there that mentions the House does not include this. Thomas may not have the new version up yet. Or maybe I'm just not understanding the versions correctly.

12/21/2005 4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home